- Males and females 18 and < 80 years old.
- Recently diagnosed not previously treated patients with acromegaly.
- Presence of a pituitary tumor (microadenoma or macroadenoma), documented by a MNR
performed in the 12 weeks before enrolment.
- Absence of nadir suppression of the nadir of GH to < 1.0 ng/mL, after oral
administration of 75 g of glucose (OTTG).
- IGF-I levels over normal upper limits, e.g. 97 percentile (age- and sex-matched).
- Tolerance shown with a test of a subcutaneous injection of octreotide
- Written Informed Consent before any procedure specific to the study. Inclus
- Previously treated patients with any therapy for acromegaly, including surgery,
radiotherapy, bromocriptin, and somatostatin analogues.
- Compression of optic chiasm that produces any impairment of field of vision.
- Need of surgery to improve any neurological sign or symptom associated with a direct
incidence on the tumour.
- Intolerance to octreotide or to any component of Sandostatin® LAR® preparation.
- Patients with an hepatic condition such as cirrhosis, active or persisting chronic
hepatitis, or other hepatopathy of fast evolution.
- Pregnant women
- History of alcohol or drug abuse in the six months prior to the inclusion visit.
- Patients suffering from any condition that may jeopardize the interpretation of study
results or may impede to obtain informed consent
- Intake of an investigational drug during the study and 30 days before patient
inclusion in this study
Other protocol-defined inclusion / exclusion criteria may apply.