Phase II Trial of Gleevec (Imatinib Mesylate, STI571) Maintenance Therapy After Induction Irinotecan and Cisplatin in Patients With C-Kit Positive, Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer
1. Histologically or cytologically confirmed extensive-stage SCLC, which is
c-kit-positive by immunohistochemistry. Extensive-stage is defined as disease that
extends beyond one hemithorax and regional lymph nodes (ipsilateral or contralateral
hilar, mediastinal or supraclavicular lymph nodes), or with cytologically positive
2. No prior chemotherapy for SCLC. Patients who have started therapy with cisplatin and
irinotecan, at the dosages mentioned in the protocol, prior to registration can be
registered on the trial if done so within 21 days after the start of the first cycle
of chemotherapy. Prior palliative radiation therapy will be allowed as long as
radiation was completed at least 2 weeks before starting protocol therapy.
3. At least 18 years of age
4. At least one uni-dimensionally measurable lesion or an evaluable outside the field of
any prior radiation therapy.
5. Adequate organ function
6. Patients must sign informed consent that details the investigational nature of the
study according to the institutional and federal guidelines.
1. Symptomatic or history of untreated brain or leptomeningeal metastases. Treated
patients should be neurologically stable for 2 weeks after completion of appropriate
2. Previous or concurrent malignancies, with the exception of adequately treated
squamous cell or basal cell carcinoma of the skin, in situ carcinoma of the cervix,
or any other malignancy treated and in clinical remission for more than 3 years.
3. Major surgery or radiation therapy within 2 weeks of enrollment.
4. Peripheral neuropathy of NCI grade greater than 2.
5. Symptomatic edema from any etiology.
6. Therapeutic anticoagulation with warfarin. Patients can be eligible if they are
changed from warfarin to low molecular weight heparin or heparin at least 2 weeks
prior to starting Gleevec.
7. Serious concomitant medical illness, including, but not limited to, uncontrolled
congestive cardiac failure, uncontrolled angina, myocardial infarction and/or stroke
within 3 months, or HIV infection.
8. Acute or chronic liver disease (e.g., chronic active hepatitis, cirrhosis).
9. History of dementia, active psychiatric disorder or any other condition, considered
by the treating physician to impair the patient's ability to take oral pills on a
daily basis or comply with the protocol requirements.
10. Pregnant or lactating females. All pre-menopausal and peri-menopausal women should
have a negative urine pregnancy test prior to enrollment. All patients, men and
women, of reproductive potential should agree to use an effective contraceptive
method for the duration of the trial and for 3 months after discontinuation of study
11. Patients should not participate in other investigational agent study while taking
part in this trial.