Phase I Study of an Easy-to-Use Intravenous Formulation of Liposome Entrapped C-raf Antisense Oligonucleotide (LErafAON-ETU) Administered on a Weekly Schedule in Patients With Advanced Cancer
To be included in this study, patients must meet the following criteria:
- Be ≥18 years of age.
- Have advanced (local and/or metastatic) histologically documented cancer not
considered responsive to available conventional modalities or treatment (i.e., no
life prolonging therapy or therapy with a greater potential for patient benefit is
- Have an ECOG Performance status of 0-1.
- Have a life expectancy of >12 weeks.
- Have recovered from acute toxicities of prior treatment: *No treatment with
radiotherapy or with cytotoxic or biologic agents within 3 weeks prior to study
entry. At least 2 weeks must have elapsed since any prior surgery or
granulocyte-stimulating growth factor therapy. Chronic treatment with
non-investigational gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists or other hormonal or
supportive care is permitted. Concurrent bisphosphonate treatment is permitted if
initiated ≥90 days prior to study entry. *Chronic Grade 1 toxicities due to prior
treatment or other causes are permitted.
- Be in adequate condition as evidenced by the following clinical laboratory values:
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) ≥1,500/mm³,
- Hemoglobin ≥9.0 g/dL,
- Platelets ≥125,000/mm³,
- PT, aPTT, creatinine, calcium, and total bilirubin ≤the institutional upper
limit of normal (ULN),
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) ≤2.5 x ULN,
- Alkaline phosphatase ≤2.5 x ULN
- Patients (male and female) must be willing to practice an effective method of birth
control during the study.
- Patient must understand the investigational nature of this study and sign an
Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved informed consent form prior to the
performance of any study specific procedure.
Patients are excluded from this study for the following:
- Active uncontrolled bleeding or bleeding diathesis (e.g., active peptic ulcer
- Any active infection requiring parenteral or oral antibiotic treatment.
- Known infection with human immunodeficiency virus or hepatitis virus.
- Active heart disease including myocardial infarction within the previous 6 months,
symptomatic coronary artery disease, arrhythmias currently requiring medication, or
congestive heart failure.
- Known or suspected active central nervous system metastasis (patients stable 8 weeks
after completion of treatment for central nervous system metastasis are eligible).
- Requiring immediate palliative treatment of any kind, including surgery and/or
- Concurrent anti-tumor therapy (except for chronic hormonal anti-tumor therapy).
- Treatment with any investigational drug within the 30-day period prior to enrollment
in the study.
- Known hypersensitivity to any of the components of LErafAON-ETU.
- Prior treatment with LErafAON (previous sonicated formulation).
- Female patients who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Unwilling or unable to follow protocol requirements.
- Any consideration which in the Investigator's opinion deems the patient an unsuitable
candidate to receive study drug.