- Histologic proof of esophageal cancer
- No more than one prior non-taxane chemotherapy regimen for either treatment of
localized disease or metastatic disease AND they may not have received a regimen
containing low dose continuous infusion of 5-FU (i.e. >5 days of infusion/cycle),
capecitabine or UFT
- No prior therapy with UFT+/-leucovorin, a taxane, capecitabine, low dose continuous
infusion of 5-FU or ethynyl uracil.
- Radiographic or physical examination documentation of metastatic disease
- No major surgery within the 2 weeks preceding the start of treatment and fully
recovered from any complications of surgery
- No radiation within 2 weeks of beginning chemotherapy.
- No chemotherapy within 4 weeks of beginning treatment.
- Patients must wait at least 6 weeks after receiving BCNU or Mitomycin-C.
- Minimum life expectancy of 3 months
- Informed consent given
- Laboratory values within limits set by study.
- More than one prior chemotherapy regimen for metastatic disease
- Current serious medical or psychiatric illness that would prevent informed consent or
- >grade 1 peripheral sensory or motor neuropathy
- Patient is taking the drug Sorivudine